Request Certified Copies
Certified copies of births, death and marriages may be issued with proper identification and verifiable purposes.
Applications to request certified copies of birth and death are available at the Town Clerk's Office.
Please contact Bonnie Franks, Deputy Town Clerk & Registrar of Vital Statistics, at (845) 832-6111 Ext. 108.
For information on registering a home or non-hospital birth, and to file for a birth certificate, please contact the Town Clerk's Office at (845) 832-6111.
Download the DOH-296A Form: Application to Local Registrar for Copy of Birth Record here.
A certified copy of the death certificate may be issued to an individual or legal representative with proper identification and verifiable and official purposes.
Standards for the release of copies of the death certificate include:
- Upon request of a spouse, children, parents or sibling of the deceased or lawful representatives of such person;
- A documented medical need;
- A documented legal need;
- Upon request by a municipal, state or federal agency for official purposes; and
- By court order on showing of necessity.
The fee for a certified copy of death is $10.00 each payable to the Dover Town Clerk.
Download the DOH-294A Form: Application to Local Registrar for Copy of Death Record here.
Genealogical searches of birth, death or marriage records have specified time periods required for release.
According to the NYS Department of Health, no information shall be released from the following records:
- A record of birth which has been placed in a confidential file pursuant to Public Health Law Section 4138;
- A record of birth unless the has been on file for at least 75 years and the person to whom the record relates is known to the applicant to be deceased;
- A record of marriage unless the record has been on file for at least 50 years and the parties to the marriage are known to the applicant to be deceased;
- A record of death unless the record has been on file for at least 50 years.
The fee schedule varies depending on the number of years to be searched. A search from one to three years of records is $22.00. Please contact the Town Clerk's Office for additional fee schedules.
Download the DOH-1562 Form: General Information and Application for Genealogical Services here.